Thursday, January 24, 2013

A Long Distance Hug.

This fall, in a moment of missing my oldest daugher - just wishing there was a way to hug her, even tho she was so very far away.......

I had an idea.

 A quilt.



I had never made a quilt before.  But I wanted my daughter to have a piece of me with her all the time.  Something she could wrap herself up in.  Something that would always bring my love to her - any time, anywhere.



Interestingly, when I went looking for the fabric I had in mind, there were 2 separate lots on etsy - from the same seller.   A whole lot of fat quarters, of my very most favorite fabric designer - 
Anna Maria Horner.




I feel a bit silly - i took the photos of it in progress, during the day - and then when I finished it, I completely forgot to take photos until evening - so flash it is.


As per my usual style - I chose to wing it.

Which means..... it's not even remotely square. 

That bugged me for a bit - when I was trying to trim it at the end and nothing made sense lol.

I realized that it actually makes perfect sense to be a bit more mindful in the cutting and sewing than I might have been.  Ahem.  But it's ok - it's beautiful - and full of love.

And did I mention how soft it is?

I had a hard time giving it up.  The other kids all wanted it.  

It's very cozy.



It has fabric from my daughter's last 2 Christmas pajamas, and my Christmas pajamas from this year as well.  I got us both in there.

 


I wanted it to be rainbowy too - because that just suits my girl.  

When she was a baby, my mom helped my little brother to sew a beautiful quilt - and it was rainbow.  With a starry sky on the back - cause her name is Skye   :)

And it was for her birthday, so even better.


I have to admit, that I am pretty certain there will be many more quilts in the future - and I'm even thinking I might be willing to put up with things like you know  - measuring, and consistent seam allowances - which to be honest - is why I never made quilts before ;)


She got the message, and now can wrap herself up in me any time she needs.  She will be reminded before she falls asleep - and first thing when she wakes up - just how much I love her.

2 comments: