Thursday, December 10, 2009

kool-aid dyed wool baby legs

I bought some wool baby legs for the girls for Christmas, but while I like the natural look just fine (they were cream colored undyed wool) - I knew that they would be a lot more excited about colors ;) So out came the koolaid. We don't drink the stuff - god no - it's very useful stuff for dying and that's about it.


It's really as easy as bringing a small amount of water to simmer on the stove, dumping in the koolaid of choice and plunking whatever is being dyed in. One package was enough to dye one pair of leg warmers. Except for the pink - that took 2 packs. It's done when there isn't any color left in the water. I let it sit for a good 10 minutes in the pot and then rinse in cool water. I add some vinegar to try to get the icky smell out. Koolaid - or food coloring - can be used to dye wool or silk - animal fibres only. Fast and satisfiying :) I really like to dye playsilks as gifts with my little ones - they can help alot and the end result is pretty darned cool looking for a little one - or a big person for that matter - I sure found those leg warmers fun :)


No comments:

Post a Comment