Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Power of the Camera

Last night was a *really* rough night.  Nothing new - the usual toddler with heels dug in, hollering her head off for hours on end....


Doesn't look much like a hollering type does she ?

Sooooo I do have a point here.....I'm getting to it.

I woke up in quite a sorry state, seriously underslept, staggering around and despairing over the necessity of an early trip to town (45 minute drive)

I finally got everyone out the door and drove 2 minutes down the road, only to realize that I'd...

Forgotten my camera!

I turned around, knowing that my camera had the power to turn my day around.

That was the smart move for the day.


Slowly but surely I'm learning to bring my camera everywhere.


Besides the fact, that having it along ensures that I'm practicing and improving skills on a daily basis, 
it also reminds me to view the world in a different way.  It comes back to noticing again.  


Pausing mid-sentence with an overwhelming urge to capture a moment - it makes me feel alive.  It reminds me to be right here, right now.


Who knew that light could be sooooo incredibly beautiful, in such a simple way?
It's not like I never noticed beauty before, but now I notice *all the time*  


I don't see a flower garden, I see each individual flower, and from every possible angle.


It can be so hard to find time to create, to move that creative energy- but not with my camera - oh no, that takes only seconds.....


My day may have started out on the wrong foot, but camera in hand I was able to muddle through, and eventually.....


I was too busy noticing, to remember how tired I was.

4 comments:

  1. OOH, I love your new camera pictures....excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having soooooo much fun! There is so much to learn :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, I have been having a string of days like that lately, too! But my little point and shoot doesn't do it for me like yours might. One day....Yes, I need to pick myself up with a lengthy pause, a heap of patience, and a dash of grace. I'm learning, too. A very steep learning curve indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should dig out your manual - I was surprised just what I could do that I hadn't known about (with my old camera) Also check out iheartfaces.com for tips that can make things a lot more satisfying - there really is a lot you can do with a point and shoot (while you're waiting for a better one ;) ) That's what I did when I was really lusting for a better camera, but just didn't have the cash yet.

    ReplyDelete